Mar 7, 2011

The Tale of Two Tubes

Tube Bunny came into our lives one fateful summer day in Boise. Seth and I were wandering around the Hyde Park Street Fair. It was full of really awful arts and crafts booths. It was full of belly dancers, hula hoopers, fairies and tie-dye. I wandered into a booth with some great hats and jewelry when I hear Seth laughing hysterically. He runs around the corner with what may be the ugliest stuffed animal I have ever seen. It was this oblong orange and white stripped thing - with tube like ears and a felt face.

He had a huge smile on his face and said, "Look! It's a tube and it's a bunny! Can I buy it!? It's hilarious!!"

Seth isn't one to buy random things and so of course I agreed. He was so happy.


Our awkward stuffed animal was quickly named Tube Bunny and he became our first pet. Tube Bunny is a great pet. He's always happy when we get home. He never makes a mess. He doesn't scratch our furniture or poop on the carpet. He is a great head rest and is nice to snuggle with.

Tube Bunny also talks. His accent is slightly southern and pretty high pitched. (Just go with me on this). Tube Bunny tells me often than he loves Seth more than me. Tube Bunny is very knowledgable about current events "That Sarah Pallin is crazy!" and "Universal healthcare is quite necessary." When our friend Maggie said, "Tube Bunny, I didn't know you had a brain" he quickly retorted, "My whole tube is a brain!"

Tube Bunny likes to be scratched between his ears. He likes to snuggle and he loves offering his body for a good head rest. He loves watching Glee and football. He loves being the life of the party, even if it means dressing up as a fairy.

He really loves when kids play with him. He loved when Anne, Maggie and Timms came to visit us in Boise. Everyone loves Tube Bunny. But no one loves Tube Bunny more than Seth.


A couple of months ago I decided that I needed to make Seth another "tube pet" for his birthday. To Seth, nothing is better than a homemade gift. One of the best gifts I have ever given him was a t-shirt with one of my animal drawings (an owl to be exact). He loves that shirt. He just loves when people put for the effort to make him a gift.

Let me just say that I am NOT creative. I can't sew, craft, draw, etc. for the life of me. I knew that if I was to take on this project I would need someone with the real skills to help me out. Enter my mom. Enter Tube Kitty.

Superbowl Sunday we began our "tube creation". Obviously we didn't have a pattern. I snuck Tube Bunny out of the house so we could reference him in our tube creation. I purchased a green striped towel and mom was prepared with the batting and the felt and off we went.

I cut the towel and saved enough to create a tail and ears. We used a candleholder to make our best guess at the size of the circle for Tube Kitty's face/butt. We pinned him and held our breaths as mom put the first sew into our tube pet. Tube Bunny was especially nervous as he watched.


We did pretty well and then moved onto the tail. The tail looked like a snake after we sewed and stuffed it. Not at all cute but rather slightly disturbing.


Tube Bunny and I weren't sure how this was going to turn out. We were nervous.


We got the tube made and the face put on. And then we stuffed. We laughed and laughed watching Tube Kitty come to life.


Then came the hard part. How do we sew the other end on? I was just happy he was turning out so well.

We had to delay, consult the neighborhood seamstress and then (bless her) mom was able to sew on Tube Kitty's face.


The morning of Seth's birthday I went to Mom's to put the finishing touches on Tube Kitty. I hot glued the face. Once done I laughed and laughed. Tube Kitty was pretty awesome but oh so ugly. I knew Seth would love it. Tube Kitty & Tube Bunny were a perfect pair.



I walked inside and presented my 36-year-old husband with his gift. He gasped he was so excited. In fact he got a little teary eyed he was so happy.

Seth loves Tube Kitty (or Tube Fritas). Don't be mistaken though. There are a few things about Tube Kitty that you should know. First, Tube Kitty doesn't talk. He just mews once. If you come over and you are lucky you'll hear a little "mew" of approval.

Tube Kitty gets into trouble. Every now and then we'll catch him scratching the furniture.

However, Tube Kitty will never, ever replace Tube Bunny. Seth stayed up late one night suturing his tail back on when it was falling off. Tube Bunny may be getting old. He may be very dirty (trust me I have worried about how I'll possibly clean him) but Tube Bunny rules this house. He has the full affection of Seth. Nothing will ever replace Tubey.

About a month ago Seth wanted to watch "Alice in Wonderland" while I was working in the bedroom. I heard him say "Come here Tube Bunny. You are just like the Cheshire Cat, except a Tube."

Seth tries to pay attention to both of our Tubes. They are pretty good snuggly pets after all.



4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love this. The photo of Tube Bunny watching from behind the sewing machine cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anything better than this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tube Bunny... he is a bit like the cheshire cat. except a tub. And a bunny. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete