Mar 4, 2010

My Life As An Employed Girl

Well my time unemployed lasted an entire week! I was so happy to get the job with the MS Society. I started just over two weeks ago. Starting a new job is never easy but this adjustment has seemed to be even harder than usual. I think it's because everything in my life is new right now. New city, new house, new job, new name, etc. And while I am happy to have this job I have to admit - I feel incredibly overwhelmed. In this position I will be planning 4 different walks, and a 2-day bike tour. Perfect for me really - but really overwhelming . .



I am very excited to plan these events. I think it is a great way to get to know the state of Idaho. It's a great way to get to know the community and to really jump in and get my feet wet. I am a fairly new cyclist so the bike tour is the most appealing to me.

However I do have to say that I feel like my life is spinning out of control. I sit for hours at work every day and wonder not only WHEN I am going to respond to the 110 emails sitting in my inbox - but HOW. I have so much still to learn, to navigate and to figure out about this job before I can do anything. I also panic because my first walk - and my biggest walk (2,000 walkers)- is in less than 6 weeks. The girl before me wasn't organized in the same way I am used to. I can't find an event binder from last year's walk - etc. So everything takes a long time. Plus, did I mention that my supervisor offices in Montana? And that my boss offices in Wyoming? Yep. I can't just walk down the hall and ask a million questions. I have one coworker (who i love) but that's it. And she is in charge of programs, not fundraising.

Home isn't much better. I can't find my bills to pay in my messy office. I can't even get my stupid lap top to hook up to our new printer (I don't have administrative rights). Which means I can't scan my Salt Lake Olympic pictures and write a fun and witty blog about my winter olympic experience. Trust me - meeting Conan, getting hit on by Pat O'Brien -


and lunching stories with Scott Hamilton would have made for a mighty fine blog. But NO! I refused to do it if I couldn't attach my pictures. It just pissed me off too much.

This is the new story of my life. Even the simple tasks have become too much for Becky.

Another sad thing right now is the absence of Cafe Rio in my life. Luckily Boise does have Costa Vida here but it just isn't as good - plus it takes me 20 minutes to get there, 20 minutes to get back, etc. I just really miss my pork salad....


Some days the highlight of my work day is commuting to Costa Vida and then eating their version of this perfection. It shouldn't make me feel better, but it does. Who says I am an emotional eater huh!?

By the time I get home at night I am exhausted. Mentally exhausted and feeling completely overwhelmed. I find myself not wanting to exercise - cook dinner - do laundry - or organize our office. All I want to do is sleep and watch tv - and sister - that ain't good.

Seth is feeling it too. I realize that I am not the one that works in a prison and has to deal with guys that look like this every day- and for that I am grateful!


He is working long hours and trying to keep afloat as well. He has crazy patients that pester him for narcotics - which he doesn't give into (love you babe!) and he has do look at really nasty STDs on really big scary guys -and I am complaining about a lack of an event binder!?

Perspective Becky, perspective!

Was moving to Boise a bad decision? Not at all. I am happy we are here. I know that work will get better for both of us and that soon we will be settled into a routine.

Until then - one thing I keep dwelling on? The fact that my #1 on the top five hot celebrity list is now filming with my #1 girl crush - and this makes me smile.


1 comment: