Feb 13, 2014

A Love Letter

Everyone deserves a love letter every now and then.  Seeing that tomorrow is Valentine's Day, I thought I would write a little letter to my love.  This one is for you Seth....

Dear Seth,

This year marks the 10th anniversary of when we first started "hanging out".  While we didn't officially start dating until 2005, our friendship started a decade ago.  I will always remember how you took care of me during those early days after my divorce.  Whether cooking me dinner, or bringing me an extra TV, you took me under your wing. Thank you for helping me feel lovable again.  Thank you for teaching me to accept the things I could not change.  Thank you for being there for me and holding me while I cried.  Thank you for helping me laugh and love again.

I remember those early months of dating so clearly. I remember everything felt exciting as long as I was with you.  I loved helping you paint your house, organize your shop and help you study. I remember the butterflies seeing your name appear on my cell phone. I remember secretly taping you playing your piano and singing and then watching it over and over again while we were apart.  I was smitten.  Through my lovesick eyes you were talented, passionate, funny and handsome. I couldn't believe I was with a guy that could sing, cook, build a kitchen with his bare hands and worked for a nonprofit.  You were a dream come true. I still remember those early years when you would sing me to sleep.  You now sing our daughter to sleep, something I absolutely love.


We have had our ups and downs.  We survived the scrutiny of friends who didn't think I was good enough for you or who believed we were getting in too deep too early.


We survived a long distance relationship for 2 years. We survived two degrees.  We survived our indecisions.  Your family proposed to me before you did after all!  We survived fear of marriage and somehow made it.  Our wedding was one of the happiest days of my life.


Here we are nearly a decade later.  Our romance isn't all that romantic anymore. Our romance is no longer a night out, dressed and looking our best.  Our romance is more takeout and Dexter.  As the years pass I realize we aren't always wooing each other with the best versions of ourself.  We are more raw, exposed and real. We know each other very well, flaws and all.  We fight, we bicker, we get incredibly annoyed with each other.  And yet, our love is deep.  We understand each other.  We have become wonderful partners.


Thank you for being such a hard worker and for providing so well for our little family.  Thank you for the long hours you work.  Thank you for all of the nights you have stayed up, unable to sleep, because you were worried about a patient.  Thank you for waiting until I go to bed to dictate your notes. While I hate not having you go to bed with me, I appreciate you not taking away our time together.  Thank you for stressing out about savings and retirement. Thank you for working hard during the day and then coming home on weekends to create something beautiful for our house.  Thank you for teaching me to love food and for making beautiful meals. You are talented in so many ways.


You are an amazing father.  Your eyes light up when you are with our sweet Millie.  From day one you have  shown what a natural caretaker you are.  I never had to show you how to do anything with Millie, you have shown me much more.  You have taken on whatever she needed without complaining.   You are the best toy for her.  She loves wrestling and playing with you. You are patient and loving and a wonderful teacher for her.  I am so lucky.


I love you Seth. I love you for the constant whistling, singing and joking. I love you for putting up with my quirks and high expectations.  Thank you for bringing such an amazing group of in-laws into my life.  Thank you for loving me. Thank you for encouraging me, believing in me and accepting me for who I am.


The past 10 years have been amazing.  Happy Valentine's Day.

I love you. I love us.


1 comment: