Jan 27, 2014

Tell the Wolves I'm Home

This morning I feel as if I have a bit of a hangover. My eyes are puffy and I feel emotionally drained.  I finished reading a book, recommended by a friend.  One that I had picked up many times, and put back down upon reading the description.  It just didn't catch my interest right away. However, this friend mentioned that it was one of 10 books that has stuck with her so I picked it up again.  And I am so glad I did.


This book takes place I believe in 1987 and is told from the perspective of 14-year-old June.  June is a really quirky teenager.  She's obsessed with the Middle Ages, doesn't have many friends, loves to take long walks in the woods alone.  The one person that understands her the most is her uncle Finn.  Finn has AIDS.  Something you learn in the first chapter of the book.  Finn is dying of AIDS.  He's dying at a time when very little was known about the disease.  That's what makes the book so fascinating to me.

The plot is more about June's relationship with Finn's partner (someone she didn't know existed).  This partner is referred to as a murderer, because he apparently gives Finn AIDS.  As expected there is far more to the plot.  June is a remarkable character.  Wise and compassionate and yet as naive as most 14-year-old girls.

This novel is beautifully narrated.  Actually, one of the reasons I picked it up finally was reading that one reviewer said "Not since To Kill A Mockingbird have I read a piece of fiction that so beautifully captures the point of view of a young person."  Seeing that To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my absolute favorite books, that put me over the edge.

This book resonated with me for a few reasons.  First, having someone close to me with AIDS. I am so relieved that we live now, and not in the 80s when this disease was so scary and so threatening. Last night I knew I was going to be finishing the book.  Seth was texting in bed next to me and laughing. I had to get up and finish the book on the couch. I knew it was going to be a hard ending.  I'm glad I did.  I ugly cried.  The couch shook.  Second, I was about June's age when I discovered my brother was gay. I was a bit younger but her character resonated with me for that reason as well.

I don't want to say much more.  I'm just really glad I read it. I'm really glad that my book club decided to read this too because I really want to talk about it.

It's a beautiful book.  Read it.



No comments:

Post a Comment