Jan 4, 2014

2013 Highlights

I love a new year. I love a fresh start. I love setting goals and striving to be better.  I also love reflecting on the past year.  What a year it has been!  This year I discovered that being a parent became easier and more fun than I ever could have imagined.  This year taught me that marriage isn't as romantic as it used to be, but that our love is deep.  This year I discovered that I am bone tired by 7:00 each night.  This year I discovered that vacations are no longer a vacation, they are trips.  This year I realized how much more fun holidays are.  This year I was aware of how happy and fulfilled I am at work.  This year I realized I am blessed.

Here are some of my favorite moments of 2013.

Millie's first birthday.


Millie turned one on February 7th.  What better way to celebrate than with a Valentine themed party!?

Learning to talk.


I'll look back at 2013 as the year of Yo Gabba Gabba.  Millie was obsessed for months.  That's all she wanted to watch.  I remember waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to sleep because I had so many songs stuck in my head. 


Spring arriving was such a relief.  Winter is tough when you have a toddler wreaking havoc on the house.  We loved getting outside! We spent a lot of time at the park and in our pool. Summer ended up being a blast too.






Spring also brought her first experience with thunder.


Seth ran a marathon in April.  He worked so hard and trained so long.  He ran with Millie across the finish line.  Definitely one of our best moments of 2013.




Also in April, I biked the Salt Lake Marathon route in the pouring rain with my sister.  It was really amazing being on the empty streets in the dark. I loved it.


Time for our annual trip to the ranch! This was the first time going with Millie and we had an absolute blast.  She's not quite ready to paintball yet.  Soon.  Very soon.



Starting in June we took on one of our biggest renovation projects to date.  The backyard.  We had guys are our house for over a month.  It was hot, noisy and a ton of work.



We loved having friends over.  One of my favorite memories was the 24th of July.  Roasting marshmallows and hanging out.

In June Millie finally started growing hair.  I remember this was the first time I really noticed how much she was changing.



In July I went to a public radio conference in Atlanta.  Alone.  For 3 nights.  It was pure bliss. I read, I took baths, I ordered room service.  I even went to the cool Atlanta Aquarium.


August was our annual Youkstetter vacation. We all stayed in a beautiful home just outside of Zion.  We had such a great time. I loved watching Millie play with her cousins.  We swam, hiked, played at the sand dunes and biked.  It was wonderful.




In August we also said goodbye to our sweet nanny Kristin.  She was starting fall semester and we were looking for some more stability for Millie and decided to put her into daycare.  It was bittersweet.


We also said goodbye to Wednesdays at Aunt Heathers.  We loved that she had so many loving people help take care of her.  She still got to spend some time with Grandma though - no worries.


She did really well right away at Miss Billie's.  This is still how she reacts every time I pick her up.




I spent a lot of mornings running in the summer. I was training for a 1/2 marathon.  One of my favorite moments of this year was walking in early one morning to this scene...


Long Saturday runs were the highlight of my week.  I ran in a lot of canyons.  Not a bad view.


I'm so happy with the way I ran the 1/2 marathon. I had a great time.  Running was so perfect.


October meant fund drive.  Some of the most intense and hard days of the year.  Some of my favorite as well.  Things weren't going as well as we hoped.  Our membership team pulled some strings and begged for more money.  People came through and we exceeded our goal.  We raised $550,000.  I was so exhausted and happy that I cried on the air.  Oh brother.  It was a great celebration.


October was vacation time yet again.  This time we headed to the beach.  Seth has been exciting to take Millie to the beach for a long time.  The trip exceeded our expectations.  She was absolutely in love with the beach.



Our time was absolutely magical there.  I'll never forget it. 



October is the best month of the year.  Having a little Millie around just made it even better.  We had so much fun all month with her.  





Millie decided to follow in her mother's footsteps and become obsessed with The Wizard of Oz.  She insists I sing to her all the songs.  She asks to watch it constantly.  She even has little figurines that she loves.  The girl is obsessed.  


She can even sing the songs - this is the Tinman song - just Millie's version.



November meant another marathon for Seth.  He ran the Marine Corp marathon in Washington DC.  I didn't go but we cheered him from afar.  November also meant our "adult vacation" to Oregon wine country and Portland with our friends Erin and Michael from Boise.  It was such a great vacation.




Finally the holidays were here.  We took a ride on the Polar Express, where Millie was NOT happy to be meeting Santa.


We went for a ride on Trax downtown to see the lights at Temple Square.



Millie and Daddy baked.



Perhaps the best moment of the year, Christmas morning.


Not contained in this blog are the millions of little moments that made the year wonderful as well.  Finger painting, trips to the zoo, dancing and singing.  Date nights, dinner with friends, going to NPR/KUER events.  Impossible to capture but all wonderful.

I am so blessed. I have such a wonderful life.  I'm sure 2014 will be even more wonderful.


1 comment: