Jun 22, 2010

Feeling a Little Quesy

Sometimes it can be a little bit hard being married to a medical guy. I am the girl that hates seeing blood. I hate hearing medical horror stories (and trust me, Seth has plenty of them). I hate needles, I hate lumps and bumps. There is a reason I plan events for a living. I can't even watch certain surgical scenes on my favorite drama Grey's Anatomy.

It's a good thing I watch strictly for McDreamy and McSteamy.



(can you blame me!?)

This uneasiness can cause conflict between Seth and I because he likes talking about work. He likes telling me the gruesome stories of cutting out nasty abscesses. He likes telling me about stitches and smashed fingers, etc. I mean he works in a prison for crying out loud - he likes to tell me about it. Well unfortunately I just don't handle it well. Mid story I often get a little light headed, start to feel week and have to beg him to stop.
Enter last Friday. Seth and I finally found a primary doctor here in Boise. We made appointments just for annual physicals (annual for me, the first one Seth has had in probably 14 years). Things were going well until the doctor tells us, "Ok well I'll send my nurse in to draw some blood from each of you so we can do some tests."

Oh no ...

Guys I really hate needles. They freak me the hell out.
They don't really hurt - I know this. They just make me quesy. I automatically feel icky at this news. I look kind of like this kid but less cute and significantly less colorful.


Now let me just preface this by saying that I don't have a good track record with having blood taken. A couple of years ago I was getting blood drawn - it didn't hurt - I was busy trying to not focus on the blood and instead focus on the comics posted on the wall next to me. Next thing I know the nurses rush to me and say "Ok Becky you are pale, put your head between your legs. Oh here is a cold towel. Breathe! You aren't going to faint."

I didn't faint - but from that point on I ask to be lying down to get my blood taken.

Last year I had to get an endoscopy when I was having stomach problems. Easy enough procedure - but I had to get an IV for anethesia. The poor nurse helping me before. He puts the needle in my arm, it doesn't hurt. I figure I am in the clear (I never watch either). But then I make the mistake of looking at the needle in my arm - and again - start to shake, I start sweating and I get incredibly nauseaus. The nurse kept saying "Becky - you are ok. You are not going to throw up. Don't you throw up!" It passed and I calmed down....

See why I was wary when the doctor tells me he is going to take some blood?

The nurse comes in the room. Keep in mind Seth was there too. I offer to go first - because I know if I see Seth having blood taken it'll just make things worse! I tell the nurse I need to be laying on the bed. She ties the rubber band thing that I hate around my arm - I start sweating. She sticks in the needle - oh not so bad. That didn't hurt. Seth is talking to me and trying to keep me calm.

I so have this in the bag!

She finishes and ta-dah - I am fine! She wraps my arm. I sit up and move to the chair.


(No this is not me. This is just a girl. But I had that color of a bandage and I flexed my arm at Seth to show him how tough I am.)

I feel fine! Whoo hoo! I kicked it! I grew up!

Seth proceeds to get his blood taken. We both then get tetanus shots and head out to check out.

So there we are checking out. I am filling out paper work. It has been at least five minute since I have had my blood taken and I am feeling good.

Or so I thought.

I decided my arm wasn't bleeding so I unwrap it and continue filling out paper work.

And then it hits me -

I realize I feel really dizzy. The nurse looks up at me and says to Seth, "Help her sit down - quickly. She is going to faint!"

I proceed to sit on the floor in the hallway. 3 different nurses rush over. One with water, another with a throw-up bag, another just to rub my back. I have lost my color and I am sweating like crazy.


I continue to take deep breaths until it passes. During this time Seth is pretty much laughing at me.

I thought I kicked it - but I am wrong. The nurses tell me that some people's bodies just have this odd response when they have blood taken.

Oh brother.

I sent a text to my mom to tell her what happens and this was her response:

"Oh good Lord. They are going to have to put you out to have a baby!"
Whatever, I can deliver a baby - just don't come near me with an IV or an epidural!


(ps - I was going to put a picture of an epidural in this blog but I got too quesy looking for a picture on google)

5 comments:

  1. Dude, you're gonna have to get knocked out to have a baby. No question. :)

    This post makes me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the weirdest part of this is that you went to the doctor together. you guys are a weird married couple. Next... you can have a baby... you will kick ass. I will be your doula and life will be beautiful. the end ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Ashes - you guys are a weird married couple. Next, you so will NOT be able to have a baby without passing out. I'm with Britney on this also. You're SO screwed. Call me when you get knocked up - I so can't wait to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - After writing that comment - I had to go google 'epidural' and find out what was so bad. I couldn't find it - though did read an awesome article about a woman in England who died because she was mistakenly given an epidural through her arm, rather than in her spine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm equally terrified of needles. Epidurals the most!! Trust me friend, you CAN do it without being knocked out. I have proof! (twice!)You might still need to sit down and use a throw up bag though....

    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete