Jun 9, 2010

I Need A Vacation

I realized today that I really need a vacation. Now some of you may say "Becky you just went on vacation - check out your last post!" Well as much as I do have a special place in my heart for the Ranch I need a little more. I want to go somewhere more exotic with no one but Seth in tow. I want to experience a new country, a new culture and new food. I have been spoiled the last couple of years with my Mediterranean cruise and then with my trip to Scotland. I officially have the travel bug for very far and expensive places. I need to shake things up a bit. Having The Bachelorette be the highlight of my week right now is not a good thing. Plus I need something awesome to look forward to. So here I have compiled the "Top 10 Vacation Spots for Becky". We'll start at the bottom and work up - here we go!

10. Cairo

I really want to go to Egypt. I have been a bit obsessed with Egypt since the 6th grade when we had a section on Egyptian studies. I want to see the remnants of what was a truly awe-inspiring and an advanced culture. I want to see the great pyramids - and I want to go to the Valley of the Kings and see the mummies and tombs. I want to see depictions of the great Nefertiti. I want to see the expanse of the Nile River. I am usually the girl that would much rather go somewhere rich with history and forget about hanging out on a beach (boring). It doesn't get more rich than Egypt. Seth has already been here (lucky guy) so that's the only reason it is on the bottom of the list.

9. Agra, India

India you say? Why hell yes! I want to go to India. I want to visit the Taj Mahal - a mausoleum built by an emperor on behalf of the wife he loved dearly and who died young. Oh and it happens to be the 8th wonder of the world. How romantic - and how beautiful. India is very exotic to me. The culture is vastly different, and the food is delicious. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. I would eat and eat at eat. I want to smell India and the different spices that I know permeate the air.

8. Phuket, Thailand


I had to throw one beach location to this list. Thailand. Oh man how I want to go to Thailand. Look how beautiful this is! I want to sit on this beach with Seth and eat Thai food constantly. Thailand is supposed to be one of the greatest countries to visit for a foodie. So yes Thailand please. All of the Thai people I have met in the states have been incredibly kind and I can only imagine how wonderful they are. Oh and lets throw in a ride on an elephant, just for kicks.

7. Budapest, Hungary

Budapest is one of those European cities that not a lot of people have visited. Because it isn't your run of the mill tourist city it is still relatively cheap to visit. I really want to see this amazing capital city. I want to bathe in the thermal baths because it is afterall the "city of medicinal baths". I want to catch a glimpse of the ancient Roman culture there. I want to see the Royal Palace and the stunning Parliament building. Perhaps I will take in my first opera? Oh and I of course want to eat. Goulash anyone?

6. Santorini, Greece


How amazing does this look? The white buildings set against a brilliant blue ocean. Sigh - i feel relaxed just looking at it. Santorini is actually an island and famous partially for it's "active" volcano. Plus on my list this may be one of the more romantic vacation spots. It looks lovely. Of course Greek food is a plus. Santorini is known for its tomatoes! When can I leave?

5. London
Boring right? I bet half of you that read this have been to London. Well I haven't and I am dying to go. The main reason I want to go is for the history once again. I have read and learned so much about the history of England. I am fascinated by Henry the VIII and of course the great Elizabeth I. I want to see the Tower of London (I hear they have ghost tours here - so cool - maybe Anne Boleyn will make an appearance?) I want to see the old palaces. I want to shop of course (even though it is freaking expensive). I want to see Westminster Abbey. The list goes on and on. One thing I don't look forward to about visiting London is the food. Come on major European city - I have heard how crappy your food is. Work on that ok? Thanks.

4. Istanbul, Turkey

Ok lets shift to the Middle East. Turkey! I don't even know where to start. How cool would it be to visit Istanbul? I want to see this giant city that is once again so rich with culture and history. Monuments galore mark this city from the Ottoman, Byzantine and Roman Empires (whoa). I want to see the famous Blue Mosque. I want to once again bath in the famous baths while smoking hooka (what?). I want to shop in the bazaars and eat Turkish Delight.

3. Paris


Ah Paris. I can't believe I have yet to visit Paris. There are nonstop flights from Salt Lake to Paris and I have yet to go. What fascinates me about Paris is not just the Eiffel Tower, but the food. Duh. Seth and I would spend a fortune eating in Paris. I want to wander the streets and sit and watch people from small cafes. Other than eating of course is Notre Dame, the Louvre, Versailles, Arc de Triomphe,etc. I don't need to explain. I just need to go there. Now.

2. Dublin, Ireland

Oh man where to begin. Ireland is a dream. Not only does it look beautiful but Seth has family there. In fact, did you know, Seth's great grandfather owned a famous butcher shop in Ireland? Yes indeed! So famous in fact that it is mentioned by name in James Joyce's famous novel "Ulysses". I want to walk the streets, talk to the people and visit pubs. I want to go to Dublin castle. I want to visit the green countryside. I want to try and drink a Guinness. Oh and I want to go on a Viking tour - ha vikings.

1. Prague, Czech Republic

Prague is no surprise. I have talked over and over about Prague in my blog (ha I rhymed). Prague is one of few European cities that remained relatively untouched during WWII. It's beautiful with it's red roofed buildings, the amazing river flowing through it, castles, culture, food, etc. Prague Castle is one of the biggest most ancient castles in the world. It is supposed to have thebest beer (more than Ireland and Germany). It also has amazing culture - and a big classical music presence. I just need to go. That's all there is to it. Seth and I really are trying to get there this year. Keep your fingers crossed.

Ok so if you could pack up and leave today - where would you go?

4 comments:

  1. I've been to Egypt, London, and Paris and they were all fabulous. All the places you listed would be awesome to visit (although I'm not sure I would be up for Greece in this economic/political climate) however, if I could go anywhere at all right now, it would probably be Ireland (or back to London - we were only there 2 days and that is NOT enough time).

    Whenever you do go to Egypt, I would suggest going with a tour group - it would just make things easier with the language barrier and getting around. Because if you're in Egypt, not only do you want to go to Cairo, you need to go to Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings and if you can make it this far south, it would be neat to see the Abu Simbel temples (I never made it there). Also, if you ever get a chance go to Jordan to see Petra - it is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

    Good luck figuring our your next vacation destination! I need one too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I want to go everywhere!

    So, I've decided that what we need to do is come up with a travel show that you and Seth can host and Sean and I can film and then we can get hired by the travel channel. EH?

    p.s. I'm totally serious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aria - wow! Seriously I just looked at Petra online and I am blown away. How amazing that is. That will definitely be added to the list. Thanks for the info on Egypt.

    Brit - DONE! Half the show would be Seth & I bickering. He would want to eat and enjoy his time, I would be wanting to shop and run from site to site. Sounds like a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your travel list is killing me. Danny and I are vacation shopping because we think we're going to go somewhere fun after I quit my job. I'd love to go to every single place on your list!

    ReplyDelete