Apr 21, 2010

Don't Judge A Morning Too Quickly

This morning started out like every other morning. I was running a little late but willing myself to be on time to work. I ran downstairs to get my coffee ready. I poured an entire thermos, added cream and sugar, went to put on the lid and knocked over the entire thing. It spilled all over my kitchen. Much profanity came spewing from my lips as I scrambled to clean it up.

Coffee was clearly going to win this morning.

Becky: 0
Coffee: 1

This coffee was everywhere! Under my cannisters, all over the floor, all over my countertops, all over my toasters, etc. I even opened some draws to discover it had spilled into my towel drawer and soaked some towels. It spilled into my cabinet and got a bunch of tupperware wet. Somehow in the process of cleaning up I had giant wet spots on my white dress shirt. My feet were sticky from walking through it - etc. You get the idea.

Well once I finished cleaning up it was too late to make some more (plus I am now out of my favorite creamer) so I decided to drive through the little Mocha Moose coffee shack right in the same parking lot as our townhomes. No biggie right?

Wrong. I go to turn into the line and a lady in an Escalade cuts me off, and gets in line in front of me. Now in her defense I will say, she realized she cut me off and gave me a very apologetic smile. Me? I smiled back but in a "I hate you" kind of way. I get in line and turn off my car. It's clear I will be even more late to work now.

Becky: 0
Coffee: 2

Next thing I know 2 women walk across the street and walk up to the other side of the coffee shack to order coffee. This just plain pisses me off. They are called drive-throughs for a reason people. You want coffee? Get in your car and drive through like the rest of us. Now I don't have 1 person in line in front of me, I now have 3.

Becky: 0
Coffee: 4

By the time I get up to the window I am pretty much fuming. The nice guy in the shack who knows me enough to say "Skinny vanilla latte coming right up!" I obviously am a fairly frequent customer. Anyway I pull up and he says "So the lady in front of you is one of my regulars. She feels really terrible for cutting you off to get in line. She bought you a coffee."

Becky: 5
Coffee: 4

Yep. There are a couple of lessons to be learned here:

1. It's pointless to get your panties in a twist about something as little as being cut off in the coffee line.

2. People in Boise are just super nice.

3. I am going to burn in hell for giving said nice lady an "I hate you" smile.

4. Don't judge a morning too quickly. It may start out like crap - but could turn in an instant.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I also had a stranger in line ahead of me at a coffee shop buy my coffee once. It was also in Boise, but it was not in apology or response to anything they had done. It was just a random act of kindness. It totally made my day and it put me in a "pay it forward" type of mood so I did the same for someone else that week. I realize it's not unique to Boise, but damn I love and miss Boise!

    ReplyDelete