Jan 11, 2012

My Favorite Awkward Pregnancy Moment


I've mentioned before that pregnancy brings out the "awkward" in people. Awkward stares at the belly, inappropriate touching of the belly, really awkward comments, etc.

Yesterday's run in at Dans Food & Drug took the cake though.


Let me preface this story by saying that the last 2 days were some of the hardest of the pregnancy. Being 3 weeks away from my due date means life generally isn't very comfortable right now. Yet being weeks away from having a baby really puts me into "nesting" mode. Not to mention the sense of panic that she could certainly show up anytime. I've been working hard - too hard. So hard that at the end of the night I want to cry my body hurts so much. Anyways, yesterday was a rough day. I wasn't feeling well. I was extremely tired because I only slept about 3 hours the night before, on the couch. I made it through a long day at work and stopped by Dan's on the way home to pick up some meds. Thanks pregnancy for giving me some of the worst heartburn I have ever experienced!



I walked into Dans and saw this cute black guy in his late 20s - pushing his kid in a shopping cart. The little boy must have been about 3. I smiled at them as we passed each other in the aisle.

After we passed I heard "Excuse me, ma'am?"

I turn around to see that the gentleman has stopped. He walks towards me with his arms open and a big smile on his face. Initially I thought, "OMG he is going to walk up to me and either hug me or touch my belly!"

He shakes his head at me proudly and sizes me up before saying "You don't have a fat face!"

I'm thinking, "What the? Did he really just say that!?"

He continues in a shocked voice, "No really, your face isn't fat! Most women that are 5 to 7 months pregnant have fat faces! But you, you don't!"

Not only am I laughing inside because he thinks I'm only 5-7 months pregnant (I think he was just trying to be nice) but inside I'm laughing because I totally have gained some unattractive water-weight so I say in return, "Oh come on now, you don't know me so you don't know how I looked before. I definitely have filled out in my face. Ha ha ha."

He continues to shake his head, "No way. I don't believe it. Good job. You look great."

I reply, "Well thanks? I appreciate it!"

And he walks away.

And I walk away and just laugh and laugh.

Water weight is no fun. My feet are totally swollen (luckily no one has commented on my cankels) - my fingers look like giant sausages and my face looks chubby.


I want to thank this stranger. Not only did it throw me a hell of a laugh but it somehow made me feel better during this long and unattractive last month of pregnancy. You totally just made my day with your awkward comments. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. you just made my day!!! love your cankles!!!

    -TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becky, this is hilarious - I am dying right now. Oh and it is so true about bringing out the awkward in people. I don't miss those daily comments I use to get. So so funny!!

    ReplyDelete