Aug 3, 2010

What's Works & What Doesn't Work: Comic-Con Edition


A couple of weeks ago our friends Sean & Britney invited us to Comic-Con. Comic-Con in long term is the Comic Book Convention.

I know...

But I don't even like comic books...

I promise...


However I will say this, Comic-Con is now more of a pop culture convention. A ton of celebrities go there to promote their TV shows, new movies, etc.

You all know how much I love celebrities (hangs head in shame).

Seth & I decided that it was something we needed to experience. Believe it or not but they only give out 160,000 ticket - which pretty much means it is hard to get into. Sean had the chance to get us tickets so we decided it would be a good idea to go.

So here is a recap of this weekend I will never forget.

First - costumes. Now a lot of Comic-Con is really all about people watching. It is a giant gathering of really nerdy people. Nerdy nice people though. I have to say that for as crowded as it was, it was a very considerate crown. I consider myself a nerd in a lot of ways. However I would not go to Comic-Con in a costume like SO MANY people do. Some costumes work -



Notice the ghost detecting tool he gave me pose with in the picture

Some costumes definitely work!



Seth loved this the most. I wonder why? Oh because she is wearing nothing but lingerie and a cape. You work it girl!


I swear this guy was so spot on. Britney and I were worried that it was in fact Johnny Depp and we missed it. The guy walked and talked exactly like Jack Sparrow.

Some costumes kind of worked -






And then there are those that definitely DID NOT work.

I love how he is working that sweet mullet!

Honestly there are no words for this -

I should have taken more pictures of the costumes. The last night we were there we attended the Masquerade that was nothing like this -


and sadly more like this



The masquerade was insane. It was full of people that make their own costumes - and then they display their costumes in a skit of some sort. Think of the high school drama nerds (like me) and then remember the "stage crew" kids. Yep - it was totally the stage crew kids putting on costumes and acting something on stage. It was a train wreck. Amy Banner would have loved it.

Moving on -

Next there were panels. This is what I was excited about. Panels are discussions of your favorite shows, with some of the stars of the shows, and getting sneak peaks of your shows. My highlights included this guy -


You know how I love Dexter. Michael C. Hall is even hotter in person, so eloquent and so charming. Love him. Watch Dexter - don't make me tell you again. They previewed Season 5 and I almost died.

We also saw a panel for "the Other Guys" and cried we laughed so hard at Will Ferrell. He is so damn funny in person.


Eva Mendes was also there. She's in Seth's top 5. Luckily she didn't ask to run away with him. I am pretty sure he would have left.


We saw a handful of other celebrities promoting movies: Liv Tyler, Rainn Wilson (Dwight from The Office), Ellen Paige (Juno), Stephen Moyer (True Blood), Paul Bettany (A Beautiful Mind), and many many more. That part of Comic-Con was super cool. Winner!

The final part of Comic-Con that is worth noting was the giant display hall. Oh my goodness. Britney and I were filmed while "Buried Alive" - again promoting an upcoming movie.


We sang "Glee Karoeke" and we were awesome.




We got overly excited when we saw the Fandango characters.

Ok I did - I nearly peed my pants


Seth perused the art section and I bought my first set of comics:



See - you can't make me a total comic nerd. I still have the political junkie in me.

Overall it was a funny weekend. I am certain that I never need to go back again. It was a very expensive and overwhelming weekend (see my upcoming post about how crowds make me anxious) but I am glad we went. It was a very unique experience.


1 comment: