Aug 7, 2010

The Crazy Disera Girls

Every summer the women on my mom's side of the family decides to go on vacation together. This "girl's trip" has taken us to Phoenix - Vegas - The Ranch - Midway - Newport - and this year - Seattle.

We were sitting around in Grandma's kitchen last March or so, making candy, and discussing where the girls should go this year. Being the big city lover that I am I throw out such ideas as "New York!" or "How about Boston?" and finally said "I know - we should go to Seattle!"

It was settled. Seattle is a big city but at least it isn't completely across the country. Seattle it was! Oh and did I mention that it was not my responsibility to plan the trip?

For 14 people?

Ugh why does the planner in me always have to jump in the air and scream "I'll do it!!"?

Really though I was happy to plan it. I was even more excited to see the ladies than usual since I don't see them much anymore.

I won't go into much of a replay of this year's trip. But here are a couple of highlights -



Canoeing

We had a blast doing this. Today was a perfectly sunny day (the only one we really had while in Seattle). It was actually even a bit hot.


Jenna suggested jumping in the water because it was hot and it felt lovely. We didn't have our swimsuits on but I decided "what the hell" and decided I needed a nice cooling off. Abi, Jenna and I rowed over to a park, got out of the canoes we were in and - well - stripped down.

Ok Abi and I did. We didn't get naked but we did take off our pants. I had on these cute polka dot undies that really could have passed for a bikini so I wasn't worried. Jenna however, due to her garments thought it best to remain fully clothed.

We got in and the water was great. We swam around for about 10 minutes and decided to start heading back to shore.



I looked up on the shore and realized "oh good, there aren't really many people around" and proceeded to climb up the rocks and onto shore.

It was then that I heard a lot of commotion.

I turned around and soon realized that I wasn't alone - I was in fact being watched by a yacht full of 30-45 college boys who were whooping and whistling at me.

Being the "shy person" that I am. I promptly turned around stuck my butt out to them - and smacked it a few times.



I have no idea why I thought that was the best thing to do!

My aunt Lori was watching this from a canoe and says, "Oh for goodness sakes!"

Indeed Lori, indeed.



It was pretty dang funny though.



The Duck

We decided a great way to see Seattle would be to "Ride the Duck". The Duck is basically an all terrain vehicle/boat. It took us around the city and then drove right into Lake Union. It was freezing but fun.


We all danced - even grandma - of course. It was great.


Vancouver

About 3/4 of us even ventured up to Vancouver for the day. We shopped, ate, went to the Vancouver Aquarium, and Ally was nearly eaten by the world's biggest seagull - but it was fantastic.


Heather had this idea that we should go find Olympic park on our way out of the city. We find out where it is, take a detour and have visions of posing in front of the Olympic cauldron.

But wait -

Where is the cauldron?

And why is there nothing here but a giant bird statue?


Oh well - I had to pose as the cauldron since one was missing.



Wouldn't you?

Bainbridge Island

On our last day we took a ferry to Bainbridge Island. I have to say, I personally loved this. It was a great view of the city and a fun thing to experience. We didn't have a long time to stay on the island but it was a good time.




However before I end I must point out a few things you can always count on with the Disera Girls' Trip.

1. Shopping - oh boy do we like to shop shop shop. We shop until our feet hurt. We shop until the shops close.



One year (in about 1997) we bought over 30 pair of Doc Marteens. Many of the girl's trips are planned around good shopping. I was personally thrilled to shop at the world's best store.



2. Food - The Disera ladies love food. I also will say that all of the women in our family are great cooks. When on vacation we love to eat. We also love to talk about what we can eat. This drives Ally particularly crazy. We are the family that will go to dinner, share food, order dessert and then STILL stop at the cupcake shop on the way back to the car to pick a treat up - no matter how full we are. We also love to shop for food!




3. Bring out the calculators! I think this is just a "women thing" but after meals the calculators come out. I find this hilarious because we are all family and my mentality is either "I'll get it this time, you get the next meal" or "Lets just split it evenly. What's $2 difference?"

Not with the Disera women. They will pay what they owe - and the cell phones always come out to help tally that exact amount. It's really quite amusing.


4. Grandma is a trooper. Grandma just had her 81st birthday. You would think that would slow her down but it doesn't. She is willing to go wherever we all go. A few years ago I called her up and said, "Hey grandma do you want to go to New York with me?" She instantly agreed. She even went out to dinner with me and some friends and ordered a "cosmo". When in Rome!


Grandma will go wherever we go and will do it happily. She may be slowing down a bit each year but she is still there and the heart of our family.


I love this tradition. I love the adorable women in my family!


2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I've never been to Seattle, and I really want to go. Someday! By the way, I love that green jacket you have. I've seen you wear it before, and it looks so great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, how I wish I could have made it up there a week earlier!

    ReplyDelete