Aug 2, 2011

And We're Having A Baby

Wow. So here I am. Just a mere 5 posts or something away from my "Momma Mia!" post where I lamented that I may never be ready for kids. Ready or not - here she/he comes in a mere 6 months.

The first trimester zapped me of all energy. Which is one reason why my blog was so lack-luster. I could barely make myself go to work and cook dinner, let alone blog, exercise or be productive. We found out we were pregnant on May 31st. I had gone to dinner with my beautiful friend Meili (at 9:00pm so she could put her little boys to bed first). We went to Trio and I enjoyed a lovely glass of red wine. Little did I know it would be my last drink for a long time. While at dinner I told her that yes we were trying for a baby. However, I knew I was about to start my period. Ladies, you know the feeling. I had that feeling - and it was the day I was supposed to start so I didn't worry. In fact it was the first month since we had been trying that I was sad my period was about to arrive. I even said to Meili, "Well I guess we better start being more serious about trying because I'm kind of sad." As I dropped Meili off at her house she ran inside to give me a couple unused pregnancy tests (since she had JUST had her baby). Seeing that they are expensive, I was appreciative.

I went home. Seth was over and Sean's watching a movie so I started to get ready for bed. I had never taken a pregnancy test before so I thought "What the hell?" and decided to give it a try.

So I did.

Then I kind of forgot about it.

I got ready for bed. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, got my "bed ready" which due to my OCD is a process. I even cleaned up the house a bit. I really didn't think twice about the pregnancy test until I walked in the bathroom one last time - and there it was. The double lines.


I instantly started shaking, sat down on the bathtub, and then kind of laughed.

I then promptly sent a text to Seth asking when he would be home - around 11 -

So I waited.

Around 11:30 Seth walks in and is surprised to see me still awake. I was terrified to tell him. I know we were trying but those of you who know Seth knows that he doesn't take major change well. Lord knows it took me 4&1/2 years of dating him to get him to commit to marriage and even then it was 3 days before the wedding where he was actually ready - and not scared. I had visions of this ultimate life change freaking him out. Freaking him out so much that he would be up all night.

Instead he came home, I told him I had something to tell him. I explained I took a pregnancy test just for fun.

He replied, "It was positive right? Well I'm glad I bought my bike when I did!" and starts laughing. He then promptly walked to me, gave me a big hug and a kiss and said, "That's great honey! We've been trying!"

A few minutes later we went to bed. Seth was snoring in minutes. I was the one wide-awake.

We decided to wait and tell our families until Father's Day - which was 3 weeks after we found out. Let me tell you, that was hard. I couldn't wait to tell everyone. I did tell my sister. We were set to do the Little Red 80-mile bike ride before Father's Day and I felt like she should know - just in case anything happened.

Those were some seriously long weeks. I decided to order some onesies to give each of our 3 dads on Father's Day. Look how cute they are! They were all variation of the same message.



On the morning of Father's Day we managed to convince Mom & Wally (and Grandma) to join us at brunch for the Youkstetters. I told Wally and David they each had to open their gifts at the same time. Then I got my camera ready. Mom caught on right away ....



and then everyone else caught on and started cheering - and crying


It was a lot of fun to see everyone react. And it was fun to finally be able to talk to my mom about being pregnant. She has been ready for me to have a kid for years now. I think she may be more excited than anyone. After the Youkstetters we went and told my Dad and Terrie. That was pretty funny because when Dad opened the gift he said, "What is this? Was this mine as a kid?"

Ha -

Here we are now officially in the 2nd trimester. We decided to take a picture of me today. Today was the first day where I really felt like my baby bump was taking shape. My clothes are tight - they still fit - but they are tight. I am at the phase where I just feel fat and not pregnant. The sooner the baby bump shows the better.

I'm not waving in this picture, I am showing that I am 3 months along.

Overall Seth and I are very excited. Scared to death, but excited. We saw the baby for the first time last week and it suddenly made everything very real. We are due February 1st.

Pregnancy hasn't been easy. I kind of laugh because I really felt my life turn upside down once I became pregnant. While I was happy to be pregnant it was certainly hard and certainly an adjustment. I went from being really fit and exercising 5 days a week to barely being able to keep my eyes open. I was nauseated all day, every day for weeks. Luckily that has gone away. My emotions have been in a tailspin! Oh and lets not forget all the other "lovely" symptoms: heart burn, gas, constipation, crazy dreams, crying, etc. Ladies, why didn't anyone tell me that everything would change so drastically!?!

Thank goodness for the 2nd trimester. Time to feel better and start showing. Time to take a babymoon to Paris. Woot woot!

Time for life to change in more ways than we can imagine.


10 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats!

    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becky! I cried reading this. I'm so happy for you two!! You will be such fun and amazing parents! Also- I love the way you are looking at Seth in the last picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Becky! How exciting! We're expecting again in January and I'm almost over the morning sickness. I haven't been able to start exercising again yet because like you, my energy has just been zapped. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Becky! You'll be a fantastic mom. Enjoy the 2nd trimester (it's the best one), and save up your energy for the 3rd one. :) Invest in a really good body pillow! Good luck with the pregnancy. And sorry if I posted a bunch of comments, google is being funny.
    Cammy Shosted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beck, this is so fun! I absolutely loved the pictures of your mom, she looked exactly like I imagined. David and I had better hurry up so our babies can be cousin-friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post, I couldn't help blubbering while I read it. You are going to be a great Mom and I am so happy for you! If you need any pregnancy advice or someone to complain to, I'm always here! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious that you wrote the Mama Mia post and BAM! Pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could hear your mom's reaction just by looking at that picture. I'm so glad that you documented it.

    You and Seth will be fabulous parents. I'm excited to be... uh... an auntie/cousin to the new little one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! I'm so excited for you guys. I love those little onesies - what a cute way to tell your parents. I'm glad you are feeling a little better. It is a long 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOODNESS! So happy for you!! Things will never be the same. Oh and all the body changes don't go back! My little one is almost 2! It goes sooooo fast! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete