Sep 16, 2013

Why I Run

The last few months I have felt like I'm hanging on by a thread. I'm only "kind of" a good mom.  I'm only "kind of" a good wife. I'm only "kind of" good at my job.  I'm only a mediocre friend, sister, daughter, granddaughter. I suppose this is a normal way of thinking for a mom? I feel like I am spread so thin lately and I can't do anything "well" in my life.

Except for running. 

Running was my salvation in 2004. I was separated from Jason, living at home again and had all the time in the world on my hands.  I don't even remember why I made this decision, but in some stroke of brilliance I decided I needed to run a marathon.  And I did.  Let me say that before this the most I had ever ran was 1 mile.  1! Before my wedding to Jason I would wake up a few days a week and run a mile in the morning before work.  Ha.  I totally thought I was awesome and in shape.  Of course at 21 I guess that's all I really needed to stay skinny.  When I ran the St. George marathon I desperately needed a distraction. I needed something besides my divorce to focus on.  So I started running.  I started by running laps on the track at Cottonwood High School (something I wouldn't be caught dead doing now).  I remember using my fingers to keep track of how many laps I ran. I remember the first time I ran 5 miles without stopping and feeling like a million bucks.  I laugh because looking back I used to run in cotton t-shirts. White cotton socks (that probably went mid-calf) and cotton shorts.  I assume I wore Nike or New Balance shoes.  I didn't know what I was doing.



At that time my whole life revolved around the marathon. I started dating Seth and kept it up. My friends used to get together every Wednesday night for "nacho night" and I used to run to Britney and Sean's house. I remember going home early on a Friday night because I had to run 17 miles the next day. I pretty much only ran long distances on the Jordan River Parkway, something I would NEVER do now.  It didn't take long to realize that I wasn't a good runner.  I had poor form, I had bad knees and my actual marathon was miserable.  But I did it. I finished and I felt a huge sense of accomplishment.  However, the entire time I was running that marathon I just told myself over and over, "Just 10 more miles and you never have to run again in your life.  Just 5 more miles and you never have to run again in your life..."

I hated it.  I really did.  But it was good for me at the time and I'm glad I did it.  I also swore I would never run another marathon again.  


It took me less than a year to sign up for another event.  Something small called the Wasatch Back Relay - which at the time was about 19 teams.  I helped with some of the initial planning and ran with friends for 4 years in a row - while raising money for The Christmas Box House.  Then the event got too big and too annoying so I stopped.  I didn't love the running but I loved the experience so I stuck with it.  Oh and this team won the "favorite team" award that year.  We were "Superheroes for Kids".


Since I married Seth I have continued running but nothing serious. I got into biking, yoga and swimming but still ran fairly consistently but never for another event. I never loved it.  It was just a way to stay skinny and in shape. 

And then I had a baby and everything changed.

I tried running after Millie was born and everything felt off.  My insides felt out of place. It was so hard.  For the most part I didn't run much. I would take her out in the Bob stroller a couple days a week but I never ran too much. I was just happy to be out and exercising at all. Plus I felt severely sleep deprived for a good year so waking up in the morning was never an option until she started sleeping through the night.  I decided the only way I was really going to get back into shape was to sign up for an event, so I signed up for a 1/2 marathon.  An event that wasn't crazy like a full marathon (at least in the amount of time it takes, the toll it takes on your body, etc) but an event that would still take a lot of training.  For someone who could barely eek out 3 miles, I knew I had a long way to go.



I started training in May. I told Seth that I was going to wake up 2 days a week and run before he had to leave for work at 7:30.  I also knew I would run on Mondays with Millie and then once on the weekend.  4 days to get me going again. 

I hit the ground running (ba-bump ching!)  It took me a long time to work up to running 4 miles without stopping, and then 5.  Once I hit that five mile mark I knew I was back to it.  Running once again became my salvation.  Slowly but surely those last 5-7 pounds that I tried desperately to lose went away.  That was great but honestly the way I felt emotionally was far more important to me.  I never felt the dread of "oh man tomorrow is a running day" but rather have felt "yes! I get to run tomorrow".  I wake up at 6, get dressed, put on my music and step out into the dark morning. It's meditative to me and it has been so healing. I often found myself running as the sun was rising and thinking how wonderful my life was and how happy I was.  It's funny what those little things we call "endorphins" do. 



I feel like myself again.  Or at least some version of myself that I recognize.  Rather than dreading my long weekend runs I got giddy with excitement.  It as all felt so great.  Running is my time.  It is time to myself, which as a working mom and wife I have found lacking.  I've also found that I sleep better, I am less stressed and I have less headaches.  Seriously people it's a cure-all.  There was a week during my training where I had a hurt achilles tendon and couldn't run. I felt awful. Running has become my drug of choice.


Seth has been immensely supportive through the whole process and sadly I wasn't always supportive toward him and his marathon training earlier this year.  He's been great to get up with Millie on the days I was running.  He has been great to drive me to the top of Millcreek Canyon early on Sunday morning and let me run home. I'm lucky.

I ran the 1/2 marathon on Saturday and it was amazing.  I actually cried as soon as I crossed the starting line. I was so happy to have made it there again. I was happy to be back in shape and to feel emotionally happy.  I actually found myself grinning ear to ear though pretty much the entire run. I ran faster than I expected.  




I was so excited that one of my dearest friends Laurie was in town from New York and asked if I wanted her to run the last 4 miles with me. I needed her encouragement and she helped keep me going those last couple hard miles.  After running 9 miles downhill, those flat last miles were brutal.  She pushed me through. 



I finished and had a time better than I expected.  It wasn't a marathon, it was only a 1/2 marathon but it took me a long time to get there. I was so happy to accomplish that.  I am so happy.  It feels good to be back.



So about that whole "I'll never run a marathon" thing... well I'm considering going for it again.

Go figure. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Congratulations, Beck. There's nothing like the feeling at the finish line, is there? Right now I am seriously wondering if I'll ever feel like exercising again. Sam and I do a lot of walking, but everything else makes me feel like crap! Maybe when I start sleeping longer than a few hours at a time :) Congrats again! And I Love the picture with Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no such thing as "Just" a half marathon. I was working the water stop at your mile 12-ish and watched a lot of people who were struggling, but who were still moving forward. I think that sometimes that’s the best we can do… to just keep moving forward. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing Becky. You are persistent and diligent, and you love your friends, Millie, and husband. That is anything but mediocre.

    Maybe I'll give running another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock Becky Love you my girl Wally

    ReplyDelete